Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Travel Log
The travels started well after quite a fun week in Bogota, Alex and I rode the bus station in the morning, and I started my bartering. People sometimes smirk when I start my bidding. They get a kick from hearing a me use these Colombians phrases that Andrea taught me. It could probably be the same to us as watching a foreigner in the states, like watching japanese trying to dance hip-hop, or hearing an Australian say Fo shizzle.

My bartering wasn't really worth it, given that our bus broke down a couple hours later. It stopped working with impeccable timing, and we ended up next to a nice restaurant. Alex discovered that prided Colombian stews make him ill. On the bus, the Colombians looked after us, the driver personally welcomed me aboard, and people came to get us in the restaurant when the replacement bus came.

It's quite fun descending to the lower areas of Colombia. Bogota is very cosmopolitan, cold, and clean. As one descends by bus, the banana leaves fill the sides of the road, the air becomes a perfect 75 degrees, and the people are much rowdier and loose.

Our first stop was San Gil, a beautiful hilly Colonial town. Like many tiny warm towns, people are out and the small-town women stare openly at you like you are a piece of meat.

We relaxed in our traveller hostel and played cards with an Australian girl working there(the australian owner was in vegas at the time). I chatted to an old Australian retired sea merchant. He had owned dive businesses on the Red Sea in Egypt and had some interesting impressions and stories from his time there. He had seen the worlds best diving and some of the world's worst people according to him. He was even there during a triple suicide bombing, so it must be a spectacular place underwater.

The first day, we went rafting with a British couple. The scenery around the river was stunning, and quite relaxing to bob down when we had a break from the rapids. The two brits were cambridge educated and were travelling South America before they started jobs in the states. Quite great people. It was funny hearing the guy say "alot of Americans I've met have this huge guilt complex about being from America, and I don't know why, I think it's actually quite a fucking amazing place." Even though I don't totally love my country when I'm in it, I'll gladly take compliments when I'm abroad. Alex and I randomly ran into them rappeling down a waterfall we were visiting.(see pics)

From San Gil, we caught a bus to Bucaramanga to Andrea's parents house aptly named "Villa Andrea". When we were getting close, I sat next to the driver as I was searching for a landmark to recognize Andrea's driveway by. I saw it and the driver let us off literally on the side of a freeway. I was keeping Alex out of the loop to give him a scare, he said something like "where the fuck are we?" Who wouldn't ask that walking at night on a strange freeway in Colombia? He realized where we were when we walked up the next driveway to Andrea's mom waiting for us outside the house. It was great to relax in a non-hostel for night a fun that Alex got to see where Andrea was from.

On the bus the next day, I sat close to a kind of strange looking character. Not really THAT strange, but I was kind of paranoid because we were crossing through a part of Colombia that doesn't have the greatest history. He was dressed up looking and a little bit like a hustler or somebody like that. He gave me the typical "Where are ju from?" with a heavy accent, and then relaxed and watched the movies. He had kind of a confidence that I didn't trust, when he dealt with other passengers, or the co-pilot.

The seats leaned back almost 180 degrees but they were spring loaded and my head bounced up over the smallest bump. We had a lunch break in the sketchy department of Cesar: it was just another jungly, hot, dirty pull off spot. Alex and I got off and started looking at the restaurants. I was flat broke, my atm card wasn't working and Alex was running low on cash. We were going to try to make it on some lime chips and maybe a juice. I passed the first restaurant when I heard a little kid yelling at me. These kids are normal so I barely feigned a glance. The kid was animately motioning me to come to the restaurant. I started saying "no, gracias, no, gracias," when I was walking and then I saw the guy from the bus waving me over.

As we walked over to his table, I was thinking "Ok, how can I reject this guy without pissing him off?" He told us to sit down and I started explaining our money situation. Without a second thought, he told us he would pay.

Alex and I sat down, and basically gave this guy our attention for a free meal. It wasn't hard to give him attention as he did these great shrades instead of having me translate. The meal was allright. I was trying to be friendly when I told him that Alex really liked Yuka(like chewy potatoe). In reality Alex likes crispy Yuka chips with salt but next thing we knew he ordered Alex another plate of the mushy stuff. Alex slowly ate it until the guy left the restaurant, and he no longer had to be courteous. Overall, it was a brilliant example of Colombian friendliness. Colombians are so proud of their land and so eager to prove stereotypes wrong. The guy even wanted Alex's address in the U.S. so he could send him some Colombian music and DVDs.

We rolled into Santa Marta and caught a cab to Taganga. The hostel we had reserved was sold out but we were able to stay in the beautiful house of a family there. We got our own room with 6 other empty bunks, for about 7 bucks a night.

Taganga is a little sleepy fishing village. Most native Tagangeros just sit around with their bellies out and blast music all day from their front porches. We went to the beach,relaxed and not much else. The town was another instance of proof that many Colombians religiously believe in not throwing their trash away properly. It also supported my argument that the plastic bag was the worst invention for Latin America.

After relaxing and partying in Taganga, we headed to the famed Parque Tayrona. According to a famous English travel writer, the beaches here are the second best in the world. We got to the park entrance but we were too sick and week to bother going in. It would have cost another 40 bucks each, just to be sick on a nice beach.

We turned around and headed for Cartagena, and we rolled in that night. While Medellin and Bogota's crime rates have declined in the last five years, Cartagena's has been the opposite.

A guy in the street helped our cabbee find the hostel. He shook Alex's hand and tried to palm him a bag of coke. That is just a small example of the greater problems around the region. Yet besides its impoverished inhabitants, Cartagena is actually a beautiful city. The "old" city is surrounded by walls and there is a huge Spanish fort a little further inland. Alex and I walked around the beautiful streets and inside the old passageways in the fort(see pics).

The beggar children of Cartagena are a different breed than I am used to. When I said no to one kid, he started jumping up and down having a fit, and then laughing about it. At night, I didn't give money to one kid and he made a gun with his hand and gave me a bonofied death threat. After sweating to death for one more day, we caught a bus to Barranquilla, and then flew back to Bogota. An hour plan ride was too irresistable compared to a 20 hour bus ride over three mountain ranges, no matter how much or little we could have saved.

I got back into Bogota, drank a big glass of clean tap water and we went and got a few tasty microbrews up in the north Bogota, I wouldn't live anywhere else in this country.

No comments: