Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Travel Ego
I think throughout any trip that I have it in my mind that I am doing the best possible trip.  Quite honestly,
I look around at all the others and assume my setup is just the greatest.  In New Zealand, I pitied those who picked apples for months on end as much as those who bopped from one city to the next for a mere twenty days.  I have a big travel ego.  

A travel ego comes from thinking that one is a more pure, a wiser, and a truer traveller.  Travel egos could be caused by travel's recent commodization in certain parts.  It is common for thousands of English, Israelis, and Europeans to do the Fiji, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, and Argentina tour.  In my desperation to not feel part of the pack, I built up my ego that
tells me I'm better.  It's quite silly to feel this way considering I probably had alot in common with those people.  

In Colombia I am much more of exchange student and expatriate.  I work, I bus, and I spend time with Colombians.  Now that I am off the beaten path a little bit, I no longer feel cocky.  





1 comment:

Andrea said...

I wonder if everyone feels the same way....I liked it a lot...keep posting them please